[CentOS-docs] To do List

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 10:51:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 11:57 PM, John <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  *Grins*,  Akemi
>
>  ATRpms.net.
>
>  To get a some sense of this mess one would have to;
>  For 32bit Install 1. and 3.. For 64bit install 1. and 2.. This is
>  what you were referring to correct? That you say you installed once?
>  I am just referring to the Legacy Graphic Cards for instance, to get
>  some idea from you about what you are talking about.
>
>  http://atrpms.net/name/nvidia-graphics-legacy-71xx/
>
>  1.http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/nvidia-graphics-legacy-71xx/nvidia-graphics71.86.04-71.86.04-93.el5.i386.rpm.html
>  2.http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/nvidia-graphics-legacy-71xx/nvidia-graphics71.86.04-kmdl-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plus-71.86.04-93.el5.x86_64.rpm.html
>  3.http://dl.atrpms.net/all/nvidia-graphics71.86.04-kmdl-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5-71.86.04-93.el5.i686.rpm
>
>  I did notice while I was browsing the site it seems that the
>  the signed packages are expired. The package signature expired
>  in December of 2007. I'm pickey...
>  Signature:DSA/SHA1, Tue Feb 5 08:19:51 2008 ([expires: 2007-12-31])
>  There is also no yum repo configuration for RHEL 4 or 5, or for
>  CentOS for that matter. So give me some more insight on this way
>  of the driver install from ATrpms. Like how you would direct the user
>  getting the appropiate files for the graphics cards.

In principle, setting up the atrpms repo is not much different from
that for rpmforge.  First read the Repositories wiki article and go to
http://atrpms.net/install.html for the instructions.  Just like
rpmforge, CentOS-4 and -5 use .el4 and .el5, respictively.

Once the repository has been set up, all you should do is:

yum install nvidia-graphics

That should resolve dependencies for you and install necessary
packages that matche your *running* kernel.

There is a posting in the CentOS mailing list by Axel (atrpms
maintainer) with a brief explanation about the difference between
rpmforge and atrpms:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-August/085287.html

Two postings down in that thread, there is another one from him which
is worth the bookmark.  It gives you some workaround for an error that
might occur when the above command is run for the first time.  But we
can talk about it later.

Akemi