[CentOS-docs] Wiki Link

Akemi Yagi

amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 00:42:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider at f2s.com> wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
> > Way to go, Ned.
> >
> > Akemi
>
>  You're too kind!
>
>  Question: I already have the RPMForge/dkms driver installed on all my
> machine(s). How do I best disable/remove the drivers to simulate a fresh
> install for the purpose of taking notes. I can't remember if I had to
> configure anything or if it was just a case of installing the RPMForge repo
> and yum installing dkms and the appropriate nvidia driver. I guess I need to
> rpm -e them and manually reconfigure xorg.conf back to using the original
> xorg "nv" driver? (just checked - I do have a backup of my original pristine
> vanilla xorg.conf using the "nv" driver)

Regarding the installation, yum install should take care of
dependencies for things like dkms.  dkms intern pulls gcc and
kernel-devel among other things.  There is one potential issue here.
If the user is running a non-standard kernel (such as xen), then
kernel-devel must be installed manually (kernel-xen-devel, for
example).

If you are going to delete the nvidia driver to do a simulation, I
think rpm -e removes *most* of the stuff installed.  I say "most"
because, the original installation of nvidia.ko may have created
symlinks in /lib/modules/ and these symlinks are apparently NOT
removed by the uninstall script of the nvidia rpm.  This may no be so
important for your testing but just in case.

Akemi