[CentOS-docs] Doc for the Wiki

Wed Apr 9 14:00:19 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 08:32 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> > Chris Mauritz wrote:
> >> I don't know.  I've included a link to the original (which itself seems to
> >> be a "refresher" of yet another person's version) in the doc.
> >
> > I have two problems with this. a) I don't see that we can "just take"
> > this document and put it under a "Creative Commons Attribution-Share
> > Alike 3.0 license" - which is our wiki license. This should be cleared
> > by the original author.
> >
> > My second problem is with the source build of all those packages.
> > Building from source is something that we strongly advocate against in
> > all other support venues (irc, mailing lists, probably also forums).
> >
> > And now I let others chime in.
>
> Building from source wasn't my preference either, but there aren't any
> up to date packages available.  Anyhow, I modified the document for my
> own use in case I need to do it again.  If you'd like to exclude it for
> the "compiled from source" reason alone, that's fine with me.  If not,
> and you'd like me to request permission from the original author(s), I
> am happy to do that.

I just skimed through reading it. I would like to know if you can do
this install on CentOS 5.1 pulling all the packages from the centos yum
repos? Watch out that install of Python2.4.5. A user may have both
versions installed at once.  /usrbin/python2.4.4
and /usr/bin/python2.4.5 sudo make altinstall?? I assume we are not
breaking original apps?

Not for the beginner at heart. Can you do it all from Originality?
Instead of following another article?