[CentOS-docs] Added BackupPC Guide

Scott Dowdle

dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Dec 18 20:13:04 UTC 2008

Max,

Wow.  Thanks for the BackupPC guide.  I've looked at BackupPC a few times over the last couple of years but haven't gotten around to actually trying to deploy it yet because something always got bumped up in front of as being a more important task... mainly because the modest rsync/rdiff-backup setup was working well enough.  Your guide will enable me to deploy in a more timely and productive manner when the time does come.

Regarding the arch issues... I feel compelled to mention OpenVZ containers as a very good solution to the problem.  Feel free to run x86_64 on the host node and then create x86_64 containers or i386 containers... whichever suites your needs... AND you can use the container to isolate the environment giving you a dedicated BackupPC server without having to dedicate a physical machine.  Backing up, migrating, or cloning a BackupPC container would be very easy and you could even offer a pre-configured OpenVZ OS Template with BackupPC already installed and configured... well, as generically configured as possible.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street