[CentOS-docs] Suggestions on "I Need the Kernel Source" Wiki pages

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jul 13 05:28:52 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:02:09PM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 09:11:10PM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>

> > Perhaps then, it is worth adding a line or two explaining that these are
> > backticks, (and possible even mentioning where they are on the QWERTY
> > keyboard.)  The newcomer is often going to assume that they're single
> > quotes.
> >
> > Scott Robbins
>
> When I come to think about it, building a custom kernel is not really
> for people who require help at that level.  Not that I am discouraging
> it but, especially in CentOS, this kind of practice should be done by
> those who know very well what they are doing.

While I understand, I must (most respectfully) disagree in this case.
The OP is a perfect example.  He had valid reasons for rebuilding--the
30 seconds it would take to add the explation in the documentation would
have saved him far more than 30 seconds--therefore, it's a profit.  :)

Whether or not he should be rebuilding a kernel at his level of
knowledge isn't for us to decide.  Instead, let's do our best to make
CentOS better than most Linux documentation.  (As someone who has used
the BSDs a great deal, I can't resist adding, "That isn't very hard.")
:)

Sure, the person building a kernel should know that.  However, suppose
that they never come across it?  Suppose, for example, that their mentors
always used the $() (and never used csh for scripting, but only for
interactive use).

I repeat that my disagreement is made respectfully. Were we talking
Japanese, there would be many chotto's and kamoshiranai no de
gozaimasu's.  :)

However, I do feel VERY strong that much of the trouble with Linux
documentation is the lack of thought, so to speak, what I mentioned
above.  The fact that 30 seconds of writing might save many people a
great deal of time, and therefore, is effort profitably spent.

Sore kara, nemasu.  Oyasumiiiiiiiiiiii
--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: I can not stress enough how much I don't have plans.