[CentOS-docs] Re: Create page about rebuilding SRPMS and preparing RPM environment

Fri Jul 18 18:22:04 UTC 2008
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:44, Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Have you fully researched what currently is present in the WIki?
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/YumAndRPM#head-d2b0e7b7f3943ba0f8d08f9cfa46e821ba74aff4

Yes, but this is just a small introduction about how to do it, and in
a way which is not consistent (the commands are not exactly the same)
as:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/I_need_the_Kernel_Source#head-a8dae925eec15786df9f6f8c918eff16bf67be0d

Note that none of these articles are about building RPMs anyway, one
is a kind of FAQ on Yum and RPM and the second one is on building your
own kernel.

> Have you replied to Russ Herrold's comment? Perhaps I missed it.

No, but others did and I agree with their comments.

Basically I think that pointers to the outside are not that good
because they not necessarily contain CentOS specific information. The
CentOS wiki is a great source of information you can rely on for
administrating your CentOS boxes, so I think it would really benefit
on an article about that.

Also, when building SRPMs there may be several little details that
might apply or not, so having a dedicated article with a good
Troubleshooting section (which would certainly have things added with
time and with new CentOS releases) would be a benefit.

Anyway, building RPMs is something I learned the hard way because
there is no one-stop easily-understandable comprehensive but
howto-like document, and that is what I was trying to address. But
it's your decision as to if the idea of creating this on CentOS wiki
has merits or not.

Thanks,
Filipe