[CentOS-docs] RTL8111 Wiki Pages

Sun Jun 29 01:57:09 UTC 2008
Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>

On 06/26/2008 07:39 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> Howdy,
> It appears that CentOS 5.2's support for the RTL8111B/C chip is
> incomplete. The wiki has some blanket statements regarding this support:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/CentOS5/RealTek/r1000
>

> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b
>
> I could dive in an make the changes *I* think need to happen but I'd
> like to talk to people first.
>
> The gritty details:
>
> Last night I attempted to install 5.2 x86_64 on a new Gigabyte
> GA-G31M-S2L. This motherboard has an RTL8111C NIC on-board. After PXE
> booting into the 5.2 installer, the installer hung while waiting for
> DHCP information. Checking the various consoles, it's clear that the
> installer identified the NIC and loaded the r8169 driver. But the
> driver obviously failed.
>
> After copying in Realtek's r8168-8.006.00 and manually installing it
> on the existing 5.1 installation, the NIC works fine.
>
> So the wiki pages need to be updated. Any ideas how to proceed?
Kirk, I've updated the
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b
wiki page in order the reflect the fact that some boards are not
supported. Feel free to edit it if you think that I've missed something.

    Manuel

PS: I still would like to see the ethernet section from the output of
lspci -v on your board.