[CentOS-docs] Samba

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Mon Sep 1 08:55:19 UTC 2008

Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> Hmm, let's coordinate first about Samba .. if there is *one* package
> that can be configured in multiple ways to do the same thing, that's
> surely samba  ;-)
> To be honnest, just writing a 'how to create a share on samba' wiki page
> is not enough (my opinion) .. but explaining how to configure the
> backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a pdc), how
> to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining Filesystem
> ACLs . etc .. is duplicating the official howto ..
> Other thoughts on that ?

Having smacked myself rather often with a printout the official HowTo
collection (and that hurts!), I don't think that you really can do a
large wiki article on samba in general without writing (at least a
chapter of a) book.

Probably a series of smaller "Tips and Tricks" would be better here,
just like the rpm page.

So have a TipsAndTricks/Samba page and then have subpages off that,
maybe?

Cheers,

Ralph