[CentOS-docs] Samba

prabhat kumar aim.prabhat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 13:10:09 UTC 2008

Hi Everyone,
I have a few windows XP professional machine and a inux server running
machine with samba,
Now,
I want to make a centralized XP  user's using samba server for user
authentication, as we are doing in Active Directory service.
In one word I want implement roaming profile.
 (mean suppose there is user sam, now sam can login from any windows XP
machine since samba will manage user informatation and profile along with
authentication )

How do I do this?

thanks

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Ralph Angenendt
<ra+centos at br-online.de<ra%2Bcentos at br-online.de>
> wrote:

> Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> > Hmm, let's coordinate first about Samba .. if there is *one* package
> > that can be configured in multiple ways to do the same thing, that's
> > surely samba  ;-)
> > To be honnest, just writing a 'how to create a share on samba' wiki page
> > is not enough (my opinion) .. but explaining how to configure the
> > backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a pdc), how
> > to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining Filesystem
> > ACLs . etc .. is duplicating the official howto ..
> > Other thoughts on that ?
>
> Having smacked myself rather often with a printout the official HowTo
> collection (and that hurts!), I don't think that you really can do a
> large wiki article on samba in general without writing (at least a
> chapter of a) book.
>
> Probably a series of smaller "Tips and Tricks" would be better here,
> just like the rpm page.
>
> So have a TipsAndTricks/Samba page and then have subpages off that,
> maybe?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ralph

Prabhat