[CentOS-docs] Samba

Mon Sep 1 14:04:52 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

 ----Original Message-----
From: centos-docs-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-docs-bounces at centos.org]
On Behalf Of Scott Robbins
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 3:25 PM
To: Mail list for wiki articles
Subject: Re: [CentOS-docs] Samba

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 06:51:24PM +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Will F. <will at digitaldev.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Fabian,
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
>>>

>>> Getting deeper into the advanced topics of Samba "explaining how to
configure the backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a
pdc), how to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining
Filesystem ACLs" seem better suited for samba.org since anyone who wants to
implement that really needs intimate knowledge of their environment. I don't
think they would want to read a summarized version in a CentOS wiki.

>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -will
>>
>> I agree with your view.  I would suggest you get started with a draft
>> and we can all join in and make it most suitable for CentOS users.
>>
>> Akemi
>>

> Agreed - many hands make light work for a task like this.
>
> As a thought - I'm wondering if the topic needs slitting up into
> multiple sections/pages? Maybe something like:
>
> An introduction/overview to samba (users, file permissions etc) Basic
> samba setup with example (security=share) Group shares with examples
> (security=user) Printing AD integration etc ...
---------------------------
How about Security=AD err domain How To; See previous Post on this.

JohnStanley
---------------------------

That seems to me to be the best way.   Let's try to put ourselves in the
shoes of someone who just tried to set up samba.  Ok, he can go to the basic
guide that Will writes.  (Or anyone--and yeah, those of us using older
versions of EMC Celerra at work are stuck on CentOS 4.4--I've lost track, I
think it was Will who mentioned they'd overlooked people using older
versions, but as we're talking about Samba, it's appropriate.  5.x versions
don't work, and I haven't yet tried with later versions of 4.x, though I
have to once my current project is done.)

Ok, that's the home user.  Now come the sysadmins, and for them, something
like AD might be important.  So, they go to the CentOS wiki, and they see,
aha, an AD article. (If anyone is interested, I have my own--though about 96
percent is from the samba wiki--at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/adsamba.html. ) And so
forth--therefore, I think this idea is excellent.

I would also make the strong recommendation that EVERY article about samba
makes reference to the troubleshooting guides CentOS provides in the
/usr/share/doc/ directory--it's also on the samba website at
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html

That can really be an invaluable resource for all levels of user.

> That way folks could chip in more easily on the bits they feel able to
> contribute towards and it needn't seem like a herculean task from the
> outset.
>
> Thoughts?

See above. :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

 Colonel: Every inch of this installation is under constant, 24-hour
surveillance.
 Willow: Including the secret lab?
 Colonel: Everything! (pause) What secret lab?