[CentOS-docs] new page? - Virtualization/Install MS Windows XP as a CentOS5/Xen guest

Ed Heron Ed at Heron-ent.com
Wed Apr 22 16:48:04 UTC 2009

From: "Manuel Wolfshant", Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:36 PM

> No GUI is needed on the server. One only needs to make sure that
> virt-viewer can be used (which happens if your remote workstation has an
> X server + you install xorg-x11-xauth on the the server running Xen. ssh
> X forwarding takes care of the rest).

  Let's just say, I'm in a limited environment and this is not an option at
the moment.  I think there is some value in a wiki page documenting the
method of creating a WinXP Xen guest using the command-line.  Considering
the various pages I've run into while collecting info to produce my process,
I'm not the only one trying to do this.  Besides, if we are trying to
convert Windows administrators, we have to keep it simple.  (I am not
suggesting that Windows admins are not smart.  Just that we need to make the
learning curve manageable.)

> And as an alternative option one can start vncviewer on the workstation
> and connect to the "correct" port of the Xen server. Only problem in
> this case is that you must manually identify the said port. But once
> again, no rocket science, just a bit of of comprehending the process.

  Using a VNC Viewer on a remote workstation to complete the WinXP install
is where I'd be going with the page.