[CentOS-docs] Updated How to Setup a Software RAID on CentOS 5

Wed Apr 29 20:01:03 UTC 2009
R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org>

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Ned Slider wrote:

>>   There's always going to be an argument about whether to put /boot and swap
>> on RAID.  It's all about performance most of the time being slightly better
>> versus stability in the event of device failure.
>
> I can't think of a good argument for not having /boot on the raid1.

Then you do not support it, and see the recurring support load
in #centos -- we get this load all the time.  It is from
clueless newbies, barely able to communicate, with unknown
controllers.  Putting /boot on raid adds complexity, it
breaks, and it is needless in most cases.

I'd rather have a discussion of setting up TWO /boot ext2
(ext3 unneeded), on differing spindles, and a discussion of
rsyncing the second when the first is updated; and a grub.conf
description to match --

Why I'd even argue for a mount of /boot RO, and require that a
remount occur before a kernel update happened [but that's just
me] -- one more barrier to keep cracker out of root only
domains

The 'second non-raid' bootable image was the standard back in
the early Solaris days -- two '/' that one so updated, and the
ability to use OpenFirmware to toggle in the alternate boot
device.

-- Russ herrold