[CentOS-docs] [CentOS] Dangerous Software Raid instructions on Wiki

Thu Aug 13 14:29:46 UTC 2009
Chan Chung Hang Christopher <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Max Hetrick wrote:
>
>> I just had a problem with blaming the author of a document, (I didn't
>> even write it) when the user did not read the document. If he doesn't
>> speak or read English well, then that doesn't help that, nor does adding
>> warnings help either if he can't read English well.
>>

> I did write it, and appreciate constructive criticism and the help from
> Max and Russ on the disclaimers.  I added some additional warnings and
> explanation about the device files, but left /dev/sda and /dev/sdb in
> place as changing to /dev/sdX|Y looked very awkward to me.

Thanks, please also consider changing the title. Nothing about it tells
you that the instructions are for first time install only. Perhaps
adding instructions for switching to console during install time will
reinforce that fact too.

> I'm sorry if someone made a mess of a system following the procedure,
> but it is not possible to prevent people from shooting themselves in the
> foot if they fail to understand very basic commands whose effect is
> self-evident to the vast majority of paid admins or other knowledgeable
> Linux users.

What can I say? There is a severe lack of competent Linux personnel in
Hong Kong so when people like me leave behind Linux systems...