[CentOS-docs] Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4321-, and BCM4322-based hardware install manual

S.Tindall tindall.satwth at brandxmail.com
Sat Dec 12 18:49:39 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 15:58 +0000, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> 2009/12/12 Gytis Repečka <gytis at repecka.com>:
>
> > actually I've also solved BCM problems on Dell laptop. A complete walkthough I made is posted at http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Dell/Vostro-1400 and I'm almost sure this might work for many BCM chipsets. If anybody checked this on diffrent laptops, maybe a universal tutorial could be posted at http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless.
>
> Perhaps you could collaborate with Milos on such a guide?
>
> > Of course if there's already a RPM package for Broadcom, would be nice to see instructions on Wiki.
>
> That will not happen until such time as Broadcom change their
> restrictive license. If (when) that does happen, ELRepo will happily
> provide kernel independent, kABI tracking kmod package(s) for the
> Broadcom wireless cards.

To follow up on Alan's comments, if you wonder why ELRepo will not
create a Broadcom package for this one, then review the following
section 2.3.(b) of Broadcom's LICENSE AGREEMENT (from the referenced
Broadcom download):

"2.3. Restriction on Distribution.  Licensee shall only distribute the
Software (a) under the terms of this Agreement and a copy of this
Agreement accompanies such distribution, and (b) agrees to defend and
indemnify Broadcom and its licensors from and against any damages,
costs, liabilities, settlement amounts and/or expenses (including
attorneys' fees) incurred in connection with any claim, lawsuit or
action by any third party that arises or results from the use or
distribution of any and all Software by the Licensee except as
contemplated herein."

It would be hard to imagine a more redistribution unfriendly agreement
than that one.

Steve