[CentOS-docs] The Wiki

Merlin Lauchlan

merlinmails at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 14 20:07:23 UTC 2009

2009/2/14 Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>

> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 05:11:03PM +0000, Merlin Lauchlan wrote:
> > It is about this particular page in your wiki
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Acer/Aspire-One
> >
> > I have gone through the steps and made it work successfully,
> > and I am now hosting my websites from my Aspire one
> >
> That part is good.  :)
>

> > I'm writing now because some of the steps can do with some added
> information,
> > There was a step in particular that I had to change to make it work,
> > It is about step 4 in the guide to be more specific
> >
> > Luckily I knew what I where doing however, someone new might not,
>
> Ok, please let us know (or email me personally if it's easier.)

The step i had in mind was adding the rescue mode option of blacklisting
r8169, as detailed below

During the install it might happen that grub fails to recognize the first
Installed OS (ie fedora)
and lists it under chainloader +1 under the title (as it would with windows
XP). Unfortunately this fails to boot fedora, in such a case boot the centos
install again to boot into rescue mode, at the start terminal type:
> linux rescue askmethod noprobe
And follow the same steps during install untill you get to the rescue
terminal, then type:
> vi /mnt/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
and add the r8169 to the list

> As I only had one machine to test, it's quite possible steps could be
> different, or, of course, that I left something out.  Looking at it, I
> see that what I wrote does, as far as I can tell, seem complete in step
> four, but of course, as one gradually gets more experienced, one tends
> to forget the sort of problem that might face the less experienced.

Very true, the problem i had was ofcourse with GRUB, If that troubles me a
little it could trouble another a lot more,
However, the step above means you can boot straight into centos, (without
using the fedora)
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/fedora to get hold of fedora's grub menu and copy it
back over,
(still to test that tho, only rebooted centos twice, also after the updating
centos, eth1 seems to fail to shutdown or restart, it will boot up fine tho,
I've reinstalled the driver, but not restarted network yet. thought i'd
leave it while it works < that problem might be specific to me tho)

> Thanks for your input.  (I'm the main author of the article--it gives
> the name of the last editor, Alan in this case, but errors in step four
> would all be mine.)  On the other hand, if you'd like to blame Alan, I'm
> fine with that.  :)

I shant blame anyone for anything, I just hope this helps, as the guide
helped me after a harddrive failed on my server. Also, centos runs quite
fast on a netbook, Acer should have shrunk centos into linpus rather than F8