[CentOS-docs] The Wiki

Scott Robbins

scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat Feb 14 23:15:57 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 08:07:23PM +0000, Merlin Lauchlan wrote:

> 2009/2/14 Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>
>

> The step i had in mind was adding the rescue mode option of blacklisting r8169,
> as detailed below
>
> During the install it might happen that grub fails to recognize the first
> Installed OS (ie fedora)
> and lists it under chainloader +1 under the title (as it would with windows
> XP). Unfortunately this fails to boot fedora, in such a case boot the centos
> install again to boot into rescue mode, at the start terminal type:
> > linux rescue askmethod noprobe
> And follow the same steps during install untill you get to the rescue terminal,
> then type:
> > vi /mnt/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> and add the r8169 to the list

Ah, good point.  In my particular case, I left Fedora on there,
installed grub (on the CentOS install) into the / partition, and added
the CentOS installation to Fedora's grub afterwards, with chainloader
+1.

I will have to add these additions tomorrow, but that is exactly the
sort of thing I meant, thao one overlooks what is obvious to the more
experienced, but not the newcomer.

Thanks so much.

> it while it works < that problem might be specific to me tho)

Yes, it's hard to tell sometimes, The hardware on these Aspires doesn't
seem to be the best.

>     On the other hand, if you'd like to blame Alan, I'm
>     fine with that.  :)
>

> I shant blame anyone for anything, I just hope this helps, as the guide helped
> me after a harddrive failed on my server. Also, centos runs quite fast on a
> netbook, Acer should have shrunk centos into linpus rather than F8

Acer should have done almost anything but use Linpus, it was a really
crippled version of Linux, but that's another things.  :)  (I wasn't
serious about blaming, I knew you weren't trying to blame anyone--it was
simply an attempt to be droll.)

As you know, especialy if you've tried Linpus, it's lacking many things
that an experienced Linux user would expect, while also doing enough
wrong to drive away the inexperienced Linux user.  It seems that most of
the netbook manufacturers put comparitively crippled versions of Linux
on their machines, then wondered why, (for example, in MSI Wind's case)
there were so many returns of the Linux versions of their netbooks.

Once again, many thanks.  I have to go out shortly, but will make these
changes tomorrow or Monday.

Appreciatively,

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Every time you show up like this, you risk all your parts,
you know that?
Spike: I wouldn't be here if I didn't have a good reason. As
usual, I'm here to help you and I... are you naked under there?
Buffy: Get out.
Spike: No, I'm serious. I mean, not about the naked part...