[CentOS-docs] I want to contribute to the wiki

Tue Feb 17 15:08:02 UTC 2009
Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com>

On 17/02/2009, morenisco at cdsl.cl <morenisco at cdsl.cl> wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> If you put a *HEADER* on your page which states that *this* one document
> >> is licensed under the GDFL and *NOT* under a CC license, I am *not*
> >> happy with that, but I think it could work.
> >>
> >> Anyone having a problem with that?
> >
> > Yes, I prefer not to have content with different licenses because it may
> > become a management nightmare at some point. Especially if content is
> > being merged at some point or being rewritten.
> >
> > There is an advantage in keeping things simple.
> >
> > Why is the CC license not sufficient ? Why does the author not want to
> > dual-license or relicense his content ?
>
> Because I prefer GFDL. I prefer and I want give all the rights over the
> document, instead start providing some rights. I feel more confortable and
> overall free with GFDL.
>
> Anyway, I'm not sure to publish more documents in the CentOS wiki, this is
> not being a good experience for me. Is difficult to publish documentation
> here. And after have explained what and where I want to contribute, I was
> almost forced to re-licence or change the licence of my documentation (and
> you didn't think that someone could want to keep his freedom and publish
> his documentation with the original licence that he choose?).

The rules apply to everyone. Why should *you* be an exception?

If the clearly defined rules are not adhered to, or enforced, then anarchy
prevails.

I am sorry to hear that you have misunderstood the purpose of the CentOS
Wiki. It does not exist to provide a means for persons to publish their own
copyrighted material for global access via the Internet but to provide
information, advice, hints, etc, to users of CentOS.

Alan