[CentOS-docs] Improving the website and forums

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 22:23:04 UTC 2009

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>
>> Forum moderators would be able to provide more feedback here : how
>> relevant and accurate are most topic's for threads ? If they are
>> bang-on, perhaps it might be a good idea to replace the entire title of
>> the page with just the title of the post, drop everything else. <opinion
>> - subject to discussion>.
>
> Just my humble opinion (not quite as a forum moderator) ... I agree
> that it is not necessary to show the forum topics. Seeing "General
> Support", for example, does not add anything useful.  Most people seem
> to put a short summary of the problem/question when they post.  So the
> title of the post should be good as such when getting indexed.
>
> Akemi

Agreed. The thread title should (hopefully) contain the keywords so
that's what should be returned by a search.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the title of the thread/post followed by
the source returned for a search. So when googling "best Linux" the
searcher may get the following results:

Is it true that CentOS is the best Linux ever? - CentOS forums
Is it true that CentOS is the best Linux ever? - CentOS Wiki
Is it true that CentOS is the best Linux ever? - CentOS Mailing List

etc

Now, if we could just do something about those URGENT - PLEASE HELP!!!
threads for which google returns 474,000 hits (not all of which are on
centos!)