[CentOS-docs] Screenshot on FrontPage

Sat Jan 3 23:39:11 UTC 2009
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Marcus Moeller wrote:

>>> Sure, be my guest. I took this one on a newly installed machine that was
>>> going to be scratched anyway. So I didn't see the point in creating a
>>> user. Little did I know the username was visible somewhere ;-)
>>
>> Hmm, maybe if the artwork SIG has time for this, they (no doubt) can make
>> a more appealing screenshot that is technically and estethically better.
>>
>> I am also not convinced about the black border, but I lack the proper
>> skills to make it match with the rest of the project style.
>
> I already wrote Al a mail on that. I guess we are going to find a way
> to make it look prettier, but my though still is that a screenshot on
> the frontpage is simply not necessary nor useful. It also does not
> scale well on small devices (try to take a look at it on your e71).
>
> Instead I would suggest to put a set of screenshots either on a
> separate page or on the 'Download' site.

I do agree that it does not look very good on my Nokia E71. On the other
hand, how many of the visitors are using a mobile phone ? We may never
know. If we find a solution that works for both I am happy to implement
it in the future.

However based on your suggestion I took some time to improve how it looks.
I got rid of the black border and "Enlarge screenshot" link. I found a way
to make a clickable image, which may open the door to having a FrontPage
that consists of clickable images too ? :)

I also created a seperate Screenshot wiki page to collect attractive
screenshots of CentOS. My vision for this page would be to showcase some
interesting visual applications (and maybe even visual attractive console
stuff) and collect them on that page. (I prefer to not put screenshots
there that distract users with different themes or complex configurations)

The image still needs to be replaced, but I have yet to receive an
improved version (both a 400x300 and a full size 1024x768). New images can
be added, we just have to think of a way to make that managable.

Alain,

In case you were looking for this as well (I guess you would be the #1
user of things like this), the solution is this:

||[[ImageLink(screenshot-centos-small.png,Screenshots,width=400)]]||

or

||[[ImageLink(screenshot-centos-small.png,attachment:screenshot-centos.png,width=400)]]||

or simply look at the following page for more examples:

http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnMacros/ImageLink

Kind regards,