[CentOS-docs] Link to Chinese translation in Wiki frontpage

Fri May 8 14:10:03 UTC 2009
Timothy Lee <timothy.ty.lee at gmail.com>

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> JohnS wrote:
>
>>> How about the panel code in:
>>> http://moinmo.in/FeatureRequests/ThisPageInOtherLanguages
>>> This allows translated pages to show up automatically on the bottom
>>> right of the panel.  See their sample site, which could be switched
>>> between [fr] and [en]:  http://rocococamp.info/FrontPage
>>>
>> Karan Ralph, what about this that Timothy found?
>>
> What about it ? Does it address the issue on hand ? or does it propose a
> different way of doing things completely, thereby eliminating the issue ?

Yes, the code on that web page could be a solution to the issue on
hand.  According to its description, the code calculates and searches
URLs that may contain translations for requested page, and lists any
translation that do exist.

Since this is performed for every wiki page, this solves the problem of
leaving the current language namespace -- if translations are available
for a subpage, they would be offered to the reader, regardless of
current namespace.  Of course, an extra click is required to jump back
into the page with the desired language, but at least the option is there.

I do have to agree with Ralph's e-mail about scalability.  After looking
more closely at the code, and considering that our wiki's URL form is
much stricter, I think the use of a dictionary could be skipped
completely during the calculation of URLs of translated pages.

I'm afraid I have never played with a MoinMoin server before, so I can't
say out right which part of the code could be removed.  I am willing to
help cook up a working script, but I would need to setup a dummy
installation first.

Regards,
Timothy