[CentOS-docs] Comments on draft TipsAndTricks/InstallWebminRepo page

Sat May 30 06:33:38 UTC 2009
David Dreggors <ddreggors at cfl.rr.com>

JohnS wrote:

> Alrighty, you asked you shall receive! Number one a regular user can't
> copy and paste the above code and execute it unless they become root.
> 2. I looked at the above code and said there is a better way to do that
> via using "wget http:\\ | rpm -Uvh webmin-release.rpm.
> 3. There is "NO" "Webmin Release" rpm so that will not happen. At least
> I did not find one at the webmin sight.
> 4. Is it not standard to have a yum release package in a yum repo? I
> thought it was.
> 5.In theory if the URL for the repo changes but guess what??? No
> webmin-release to reflect that change.
> 6. Now let me make this very clear. I am in no way saying it is a bad
> article. At least you are contributing something to the more advanced
> CentOS users.
>
> Questions?
Yes, where is #1? :)

Also, as to not being able to run that code as a regular user...

John, you have to be root to run the rpm command to install any package
so this seems to be an invalid point anyway.

Bullet point 6... here here I second that motion. Great job and thanks.
While this info may seem trivial to the seasoned, a user that is
learning may find these steps invaluable.

Forget that we are talking webmin or even repo's vs wget|rpm (all
learning points), the new user will learn a lot from just the mechanics
of this process and by seeing the command line in action!