[CentOS-docs] Comments on draft TipsAndTricks/InstallWebminRepo page

Sat May 30 06:59:22 UTC 2009
JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 02:33 -0400, David Dreggors wrote:
> JohnS wrote:
>
> > Alrighty, you asked you shall receive! Number one a regular user can't
> > copy and paste the above code and execute it unless they become root.
> > 2. I looked at the above code and said there is a better way to do that
> > via using "wget http:\\ | rpm -Uvh webmin-release.rpm.
> > 3. There is "NO" "Webmin Release" rpm so that will not happen. At least
> > I did not find one at the webmin sight.
> > 4. Is it not standard to have a yum release package in a yum repo? I
> > thought it was.
> > 5.In theory if the URL for the repo changes but guess what??? No
> > webmin-release to reflect that change.
> > 6. Now let me make this very clear. I am in no way saying it is a bad
> > article. At least you are contributing something to the more advanced
> > CentOS users.
> >
> > Questions?
> Yes, where is #1? :)

Number one; no 1. :-)

> Also, as to not being able to run that code as a regular user...
>
> John, you have to be root to run the rpm command to install any package
> so this seems to be an invalid point anyway.

I know you have to be root to run it. How is it invalid? It is no way
invalid if there was a webmin-release rpm. It is to me a shorter way of
doing it if there was a release package for the repository. That's in my
opinion.

> Bullet point 6... here here I second that motion. Great job and thanks.
> While this info may seem trivial to the seasoned, a user that is
> learning may find these steps invaluable.

Very true indeed. I agree.

> Forget that we are talking webmin or even repo's vs wget|rpm (all
> learning points), the new user will learn a lot from just the mechanics
> of this process and by seeing the command line in action!

Well, we sure hope HE/SHE will learn something from it.

JohnStanley