[CentOS-docs] Re #3: Contribution for Wiki CentOS - Virtual Hosting with VSFTPD and MySQL on CentOS 5 - HowTO Tutorial

Tue Feb 9 06:46:11 UTC 2010
Gytis Repečka <gytis at repecka.com>

Nice tutorial.

But there's one particular problem that interest me a lot. Everywhere somebody writes about vsftpd+mysql, two FTP-dedicated users are created, so all content is owned by them. Does anybody have yet discovered how FTP is configured on cPanel? I know they uses pure-ftpd, but their way of dealing with users is great. Let me give an example for those who are not familiar with cPanel/WHM.

user1 is a system user. He can access (via FTP also) /home/user1. He creates a directory /home/user1/public_html/website and wants to create virtual user. We need to make user2 (which is virtual - NOT system user) and give him access to /home/user1/public_html/website ONLY. If server has got suPHP running, all PHP files under /home/user1/public_html must be owned by user1, so user2 has to upload files with user1's ownership.

How to achieve this? Maybe someting like this is possible on vsftpd also?

Yours faithfully,
Gytis Repecka

www.repecka.com