[CentOS-docs] General FAQ addition

Thu Mar 4 10:38:38 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 03/03/2010 09:23 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> [herrold at centos-5 ~]$ rpm -qi sos
> Name        : sos

the only issue with sos ( son of sysreport! ) is that it provides a lot
of info, including many things that people would consider 'sensitive' in
security and privacy terms. Not sure if I'd want to give anyone I didnt
implicitly trust ( eg. with a user account on the system ) the complete
output from sos on any of my machines. [1]

on the other hand, sos plugins are quite easy to write, and perhaps a
command line that disables the 'standard' plugins might be worth looking
into.

- KB

[1] My own sos info might be a bit dated, early last year ( 2009 ) I was
looking into writing a web app that would allow people to submit sos
output to track 'state' but ended up writing a plugin that just gives me
via email what i need.