[CentOS-docs] Suggestion for "how to" section: easy way to install the JDK?

Milos Blazevic

milos.blazevic at sbb.rs
Fri Oct 8 23:18:16 UTC 2010

Bob Stine wrote:
> I've read website http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS
> <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS>.  I am a total newbie
> with CentOS, but currently, with update 21 of the Java 6 JDK and
> CentOS 5.5, the installing the JDK appears to be simpler:
>
> 1. Download the latest *rpm.bin jdk (as of
> today,jdk-6u21-linux-i586-rpm.bin)
> fromhttp://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp
> <http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp>
> 2. chmod +x the downloaded file.
> 3. su
> 4. Execute the file.
>
> The main advantage of this procedure is that you do not need to build
> an RPM.
> ---
> Bob Stine
> bob at waltonstine.net <mailto:bob at waltonstine.net>  (703) 217-4784
> /Rule for living: What Would Clint Eastwood Do?/

This issue with Wiki page has been discussed recently on the following
forum topic:
https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=116041&topic_id=28126&forum=38#forumpost116041

and although I never got to reply to Alan Bartlett's proposition (sorry
Alan), cause I never got the time to go through the whole thing
thoroughly - been rather busy lately.

However, I am, in fact, interested in making adjustments to the Wiki
page - but sadly not the ones you proposed Bob, since the just won't do
the trick.
I have to admitt, I don't recall the above instructions (provided at
Sun/Oracle's web site - with the links to download the Sun Java SDK
package) ever
doing any good.

So, Ralph (or any other Wiki admin) would you be kind enough to escalate
my privileges in order for me to edit the JavaOnCentOS Wiki?

Of course, if we get to it, I'll make sure we discuss it thoroughly on
the mailing list before the changes go public.

--
*Milos Blazevic*

Cert. No: 805010564450148
Email: milos.blazevic at sbb.rs <mailto:milos.blazevic at sbb.rs>