[CentOS-docs] Suggestion for "how to" section: easy way to install the JDK?

Bob Stine

bob at waltonstine.net
Sat Oct 9 00:35:24 UTC 2010

Milos Blazivec wrote:

... I am, in fact, interested in making adjustments to the Wiki
>page - but sadly not the ones you proposed Bob, since the just won't do
>the trick.

Hmm.  I ran the executed the bin file, edited /etc/profile so that PATH included
the "bin" directory of the sun jdk directory, added environment variable
JDK_HOME,  deleted the /usr/bin/java symlink from java -> /etc/alternative/java,
and everything works, or at least well enough for me to run the Eclipse C++ IDE,
which was my goal.

Maybe adding the jdk was unnecessary for Eclipse to work?

Could you unpack "just won't do", or point to a discussion of the issue?

Thanks.
---
Bob Stine
bob at waltonstine.net  (703) 217-4784
Rule for living: What Would Clint Eastwood Do?