[CentOS-docs] How to install libquicktime on CentOS 7 in one (or two) line of command?

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sat Jan 17 17:23:49 UTC 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Thank you but what my question is looking for is a way to automatically
> install all dependencies of a rpm file, not just how to install
> multimedia things on CentOS.
>
> PS: after go over all steps in that page, I still got error:
> error: Failed dependencies:
>      libquicktime.so.0()(64bit) is needed by
> libquicktime-1.2.4-31.el7.x86_64

As already mentioned, yum does dependency resolution and downloads any needed packages... however... (I'm guessing) the package you downloaded isn't really from a well-maintained repository specifically made for CentOS 7.  It's not just up to the package manager but also the packager and the packages.  If a package doesn't define its dependencies well or if it is old and depends on ancient versions of things that aren't around anymore, it isn't going to work.

Use the repo mentioned and you'll most likely be successful.  Pick some random rpm and not so much.

Regarding libquicktime... what is it you are wanting to do?  Encode video, play back video, or what?  ffmpeg really is the king of the encoders and vlc or mplayer are the tops of playback mainly because they offer support for so many container formats and codecs.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street