[CentOS-docs] How to install libquicktime on CentOS 7 in one (or two) line of command?

Heng Zhou hzhou1 at cs.uml.edu
Sat Jan 17 17:53:40 UTC 2015

On 1/17/2015 10:59 AM, Heng Zhou wrote:

> On 1/17/2015 10:45 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:31:10AM -0500, Heng Zhou wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Signature, key ID 66534c2b: NOKEY
>>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>>      libfaac.so.0()(64bit) is needed by
>>> libquicktime-1.2.4-31.el7.x86_64
>>>      libfaad.so.2()(64bit) is needed by
>>> libquicktime-1.2.4-31.el7.x86_64
>>>      libmp3lame.so.0()(64bit) is needed by
>>> libquicktime-1.2.4-31.el7.x86_64
>>>      libquicktime.so.0()(64bit) is needed by
>>> libquicktime-1.2.4-31.el7.x86_64
>>>      libschroedinger-1.0.so.0()(64bit) is needed by
>>> libquicktime-1.2.4-31.el7.x86_64
>>>      libx264.so.142()(64bit) is needed by
>>> libquicktime-1.2.4-31.el7.x86_64
>>> |

>>> I can install these missing dependencies by querying for their
>>> package name and installing them one by one *manually*. But this is
>>> so tedious and time consuming, so I am wondering if there is any
>>> one-strike single-line (or two) command that can automatically
>>> install all dependencies, as well as the target rpm file. I hear
>>> that yum has a similar function but I don't know how to use yum to
>>> install |libquicktime| because it complains "No package libquicktime
>>> available."
>> It's in the nux desktop repo for CentOS 7. If you look at the wiki
>> tips and
>> tricks, http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS7 it
>> gives
>> instructions to install it.
>>

> Thank you but what my question is looking for is a way to
> automatically install all dependencies of a rpm file, not just how to
> install multimedia things on CentOS.
>
> PS: after go over all steps in that page, I still got error:
> error: Failed dependencies:
>     libquicktime.so.0()(64bit) is needed by
> libquicktime-1.2.4-31.el7.x86_64

To Christoph Galuschka:

The yum seems crashed. Fortunately I made a snapshot before and the
system is now restored. The similar error from running yum install
./that_rpm is:
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: libquicktime-1.2.4-31.el7.x86_64
(/libquicktime-1.2.4-31.el7.x86_64)
            Requires: libschroedinger-1.0.so.0()(64bit)
Error: Package: libquicktime-1.2.4-31.el7.x86_64
(/libquicktime-1.2.4-31.el7.x86_64)
            Requires: libquicktime.so.0()(64bit)
            Available: libquicktime-1.2.4-16.el7.nux.x86_64 (nux-dextop)
                libquicktime.so.0()(64bit)
  You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
  You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

I'm not gonna try it because I have no idea what it is talking about and
I don't have faith that it works.

To Scott Dowdle:

Yeah, there are a lot of possibilities to my problem. But it is harder
to verify a hypothesis than coming up with one. So, do you have any
specific commands for the verification purpose?

PS: it's interesting to see that the installation thing on linux is in
such a mess when recalling just a few years ago linux fans laughing at
Microsoft Windows for its inconvenience of installing something, such as
nowhere to found installer, contains virus, uneasy to manitain new
version, including dependencies, etc, which are now a lot more serious
on linux. What a irony.