[CentOS-docs] Regarding Static website generator [GSOC Docs-toolchain]

Tue Jul 28 06:00:01 UTC 2015
kunaal jain <kunaalus at gmail.com>

Hi, I just wanted to mail community first and get the discussion started,
but I should have written details first.

The main aim behind this project is to facilitate contributors, so the site
generator should be such that, it doesn't complicate the workflow. Another
constraint is that the site generator should require minimal human effort,
as we plan to build the site continuously through CI, so the new content
should automatically be indexed, added to navigation panels, content
directory etc.

Coming to existing site generators, we looked at Jekyll, Hugo and Mkdocs.

Hugo - very flexible, great tool but complicated. User needs hugo installed
to contribute. Docker uses this, switching from mkdocs.

Mkdocs - Not very flexible, but very friendly. User needs to create doc in
mardown, add the link in another file and done!

Jekyll -- very blog specific, which we don't require.

What do you think about it?