[CentOS-docs] Docs strategy and tactics [RFC]

Pete Travis

me at petetravis.com
Mon Mar 16 23:05:09 UTC 2015

On 03/12/2015 03:59 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
> I've been thinking for a little while, and talking with people, about
> what would be a good documentation strategy for the CentOS Project.
>
> == tl;dnr aka Summary
>
> This is a proposal around creating new, short-format
> documentation about doing cool new things on top of CentOS
> Linux. These docs would support the work of the various SIGs (Cloud,
> Storage, Virt, etc.), in some cases living in the upstream project and
> rebuilt in to CentOS by SIGs.
>
> == Overview
>
> When it comes to all the documentation we can think about, there are
> several areas with clear importance:
>
> 1. Base CentOS Linux materials, which are numerous and include the
> upstream RHEL documentation set. These are focused on installation,
> configuration, and administration of various parts of a CentOS Linux
> instance or set of instances.
>
> 2. Doing cool things on top of CentOS Linux.
>
> 3. Content for working within the project, such as part of a SIG, how to
> ask questions on IRC, and how to conduct oneself on mailing lists.
>
> For item 3, we have some fairly robust and growing content, and I think
> that can continue to grow somewhat organically. We may want to adopt
> tooling and workflow from this proposal as it matures.
>
> For item 1, we are currently blocked from moving ahead by not being
> able to easily rebrand and reuse the RHEL doc set without the XML
> sources. Reworking external content is also an idea, but a similar
> pain for different reasons. I want to set aside this item for the
> purposes of this thread.
>
> Item 2 is the one where we can get some great traction:
>
> * Content that shows how to do things on top CentOS Linux is key for
> adoption of new use cases.
> * It's an area where we can lower the barriers to contribution greatly.
> * Many upstream projects can benefit from better content on how to use
> their software on CentOS Linux, and the Project benefits from the shared
> exposure.
>
> The below strategy proposal is focused around item 2.
>
> ## BEGIN PROPOSAL
>
>   "You've just installed CentOS Linux, great, congratulations -- you
>   now have an expensive heater. What people need is content on how to
>   /do something/ with that installation."
>
>   -- Jim Perrin
>
> == Overview
>
> The overall idea is two basic parts:
>
> 1. Focus on short-form, how-to/tutorial content. In many cases, multiple
> docs/articles are linked together to show the various steps. For
> example, these ARMv8 posts from Jim:
>
> http://seven.centos.org/2015/03/centos-linux-7-and-arm/
> http://seven.centos.org/2015/03/building-centos-linux-7-for-armv8/
>
> 2. Docs that are about combining an upstream (usually via a SIG) either
> i) live in the upstream repo and are rebuilt in to CentOS, or ii) live
> in CentOS but are shared/socialized into the upstream project and its
> ecosystem.

> [...]

We've been having a very similar conversation in the Fedora Docs
group.   I have a crude plan for the tooling part, to extend buildbot to
address this; the idea is that you feed it git repos containing
documentation in whatever supported format, some metadata is extracted,
the content is built to html, then a navigation portal is built using
the extracted metadata.  Bonus, continuous integration of translations
from Zanata or Transifex can be built in too.  Changes are triggered by
commit polling, the operating theory is that you'll have some branches
of a repo designated for production/publishing, one might be the
'official prelease drafts', the rest just get validation.

Right now, this is just an ansible playground living at
https://github.com/immanetize/anerist/tree/ansible but I intent to
cludge together python modules to extend the buildbot BuildFactory class
so it's a proper redistributable thing instead of a massive master.cfg
.   If it sounds interesting to you, I'm sure the effort could benefit
from the involvement of people with more expertise.

--
-- Pete