[CentOS-docs] Docs strategy and tactics [RFC]

kunaal jain

kunaalus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:21:14 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 3:30 AM, Shaun McCance <shaunm at redhat.com> wrote:
> Just to throw another wrench in: I don't know what DigitalOcean's docs
> are like, but Linode generally provides their guides for Ubuntu, Debian,
> and CentOS. However, for whatever reason, they tend to do Ubuntu first.
> So there are bunches of guides without CentOS versions.
>
> They do allow people outside Linode to submit guides. So outside of
> normal CentOS docs, a useful exercise would be for people to port
> non-CentOS guides on Linode (and other places) to CentOS. It would
> increase mindshare for CentOS.

I think with porting of content, main focus should be on new content.
If we create the complete documentation procedure i.e. automating this
long procedure ---->
writing content in markup language -> pull request -> discussion ->
changes -> Identify the module and upstream -> converting content in
relevant design, style -> pushing to upstream -> updating CentOS docs
-> update website.

If this toolchain becomes friendly, I am sure even the normal CentOS
user, if learns new thing, would happy to write a document about it
and push it to us. Even upstream software benefit with this
documentation .

> Sure. I've dealt with quite a bit of this while working on GNOME docs.
> It's challenging, but mostly enjoyably so. I mentioned to Karsten
> off-list that, if you want a usable system at the end, it's important to
> really define the workflow and what tools are needed. I've had quite a

Hence this thread comes into existence on this mailing list to discuss
the workflow and tools with those people who actually deal with this
on frequently basis.

This was my attempt to start discussion on technical aspect of this.
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2015-March/005594.html

> few GSoC projects that just ended up as interesting experiments, but
> never got used. Interesting experiments can be fine, but not if your
> documentation strategy depends on them.

I agree. But as Jason said we need to experiment, give people this new option.