[CentOS-docs] Installing CentOS - user feedback

Rich Bowen

rbowen at redhat.com
Mon Aug 17 20:30:06 UTC 2020

On 8/17/20 4:19 PM, Thibaut Perrin wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> Just for 1), when you choose the distro you want, written in white on
> blue on top of that you have a phrasing that describes (agreed, it could
> be better positioned, but it's there) :
> CentOS Linux
> => Consistent, manageable platform that suits a wide variety of
> deployments. For some open source communities, it is a solid,
> predictable base to build upon.
>
> CentOS Stream
> => Rolling-release distro that tracks just ahead of Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux (RHEL) development, positioned as a midstream between Fedora Linux
> and RHEL. For anyone interested in participating and collaborating in
> the RHEL ecosystem, CentOS Stream is your reliable platform for innovation.

Yes, these are good, but are both *after* you've made the choice of
which button to click. I have been told (not in writing, but just at
events) that it's not clear why one would pick one or the other. Maybe
we could do a shorter form of those as a mouseover?

> I agree on the missing points, and also the "Documentation" page
> includes doc for 7 & 8, even if you're on the 6.10 choice. Which means
> there's not even documentation links for 6 while it's still possible to
> download it ?

Oops. I hadn't noticed that. Although, we're just 2 months out from 6
EOL, so probably not something we're going to spend much time fixing,
I'd guess?

> On the other points, once you choose x86_64, there should be more
> guidance on the mirror page I'd say. You'll find the following ISO
> files, here is a list of which you'll find and what usage.
> Maybe the mirror parent page could include a readme or a redirect to the
> ISO page as well for that matter ?
>
> I think the fewest places the info is stored, the less likely we'll
> forget an update when there is one.

Definitely, I agree.