[CentOS-gsocadmin] GSOC mentoring organization thoughts

Sun Mar 1 08:40:28 UTC 2009
Bill Scheel <linuxrockz at gmail.com>

http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforMentors

This is a very good read. Also the "more resources" section at the end.

We still need as many ideas as possible. However after reading more
about our role as an organization, my initial understanding of GSOC and
our projects list has changed.

We need to have mentors available for any and all projects we have on
our list.
1. Our projects need to be application that we need implemented for
CentOS. An example would be Donavan's suggestion with CentOS mirror
resolving.
2. Application that would benefit CentOS users such as OS admin tools,
tools which make task easier for the end user. Of the top of my head
example, a tool that make setting up remote server(s) SSH with key-based
authentication.

Do we have a place where we have kept track of user request for tools
and/or enhancements?

With that in mind we need to come up with a quality list of projects,
not quantity.