[CentOS-gsocadmin] A few words about myself

Tue Mar 3 18:51:59 UTC 2009
Marcus Moeller <mm at gcug.de>

Good Evening.

My name is Marcus Moeller and I want to let you know a bit about myself

# hacker bio

I was born 1976 in Western Germany. My parents gave my brother and me
a Commodore 64 when I was 10 and the first lines of code have been
written with 12.

I had a 300 baud modem and an 'Akustikkoppler' to access mailbox
systems and soon became my own Sysop, leading 'Trancentral BBS' and
the 'Digital Underground' demo group. Commodore Computers (C64 /
Amiga) have been my favourite platform for quite a long time.

In 1994, things began to change. With Linux I have suddenly found a
good, hackable and community driven operating system for my x86 PC
which I felt in love with, so I soon  installed my first version of
Slackware Linux and got Usenet modem access through a local
university.

In the late 90s I have started to create my own Linux Distribution
called 'Bonzai Linux'. It was based on Debian Potato/Woody and fit on
a 180 MB mini CD. This was quite cool as I could take a fast
installable and well pre-configured Linux Desktop with me, being able
to linuxify on a lot of PCs at any time ;)

I was involved in Debian's boot-floppies and in early d-i development.
As I was unsatisfied with the d-i development direction and some
decisions that have been taken by Debian maintainers I decided to
discard and went back to my beloved Slackware (d-i is a code
monster!). From 'Bonzai' came easys GNU/Linux which is still continued
by some motivated developers. easys is a Slackware based distribution
with a new unique installation system called YaLI and a QT based
configuration management system called ALICE.

For me, long term support was always important, as I do not want to
re-install/upgrade every half year. Pat offers updates for very old
Slackware Versions, so Slack seems to be a good choice.

But as business was getting tougher, things began to change:

# business bio

1998 I started working as System Administrator at a local university.
I was responsible for their Linux/Solaris and NT network
infrastructure and created a PXE booted remote Solaris student-room
where about 50 pupils where able to work on a single machine.

My thesis was about network monitoring using Nagios. After
qualification I started working at a system integrator which is now
part of the Bechtle group. I have contributed to a firewall appliance
called BenHur and mixed Linux solutions.

As we have been using Red Hat in customer szenarios, CentOS seems to
be a good alternative. Soon, it became my favourite Desktop and Server
OS, too. It offers a lot of features that are missing in Slackware,
like a good default package selection, dependency tracking, GNOME ...

In 2008 I decided to no longer take part in niche distribution
development and to contribute to the well-known CentOS projects
instead.

Best Regards
Marcus