[CentOS-gsocadmin] GSOC mentoring organization thoughts

Sun Mar 1 19:20:06 UTC 2009

Bill Scheel wrote:
> I'm idling in #CentOS-GSOC

I am there now :)

> Ideas can come from anywhere. Right now time is also our enemy. We
> really should have started working this last year. :(

Well, the thing is - if you make it that we cant do it this year and we
need to hold back plan things out and do this for next year, thats fine
too. But if you *really* think we cant do anything this year.

> If you fully understand amount of work we need to accomplish to get this
> off and running, we need to determine when we announce to the public we
> are looking for mentors and students.

we can announce that on tuesday morning and start having people get in.
I dont think we are going to have a problem finding mentors at all,
there are plenty of very clued up people who hang around close to the
project and can be roped in - hopefully at short notice.

> I can not stress this enough, this is a "team" effort.
> I will manage this effort but I can not do everything.
> Currently I really could use someone to help me get some content on our
> wiki. Where we are going to link to it on the wiki, formatting, and
> clean and informative content.

I am working flat out on the 5.3 stuff - and dont want to commit into
things too much, not sure how Ralph is placed, he might be able to help
with the wiki - otherwise once we have the meeting tomorrow we can ask
for volunteers.