[CentOS-gsocadmin] Proposal short-list and slots for organizations

Mon Apr 13 05:22:48 UTC 2015
Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com>

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/12/2015 07:26 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> <https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2015>
>> states that by 13Apr "Mentoring organizations should have requested
>> slots via their profile in Melange by this point. "
>>
>> This would mean that a long list of possible proposals and a short
>> list of "we must have these students for our organization"
>> proposals need to exist.
>
> Well, it really means that we need to make the slots request.
>
> I read through the entry on how many slots to request and expect, and
> our count is likely relatively low. But we can make that request
> independently of the proposals, and decide separately which ones to
> accept, etc.
>
> Does that make sense? Am I misreading in any way?

I offer an alternative approach. We use the strength of the proposals
in the queue to estimate how many "must have" slots the project has to
seek. I agree that between 2 and 5 is a good number. In this case, the
mentors and OrgAdmins need to get together to identify which of the
submitted proposals qualify.

The long list in my original email is an attempt to stimulate some
conversation among the mentors about which proposals are "we cannot
drop to the floor".

> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/studentallocations

> Based on what I read in the above article:
>
> +2 for base request
> +1 for being (more like) an umbrella org
> +1 possible for past track record of org admins (myself, Jeff)
> +1 that I will beg for based on running Fedora Summer Coding
>
> If I can make all that plea, that means we are anywhere from 2 to 5
> slots that are reasonable. My count of likely candidates is not far
> from yours, so that would mean about 6 worthwhile proposals to accept,
> with a few of those close calls about which one is best.

I agree. And the time has come to make those calls and begin the
conversations with the candidates so that they are well prepared when
"pencils at ready" phase comes along.

> Honestly, if we can get as many as 5 slots we are in really great
> shape for a first year organization. Getting that many would mean a
> lot of faith on Google's part to put us out there ahead of their
> experience around new orgs.
>
> If we're not fully lucky, I'm hoping for 3 to 4.

:) My request is that we spend some time identifying the proposals
which will make the slots. Let's assuming 4 slots to begin with and
get the qualifying round in.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://about.me/sankarshan.mukhopadhyay>