[CentOS-gsocadmin] Proposal short-list and slots for organizations

Mon Apr 13 05:16:06 UTC 2015
Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>

On 04/12/2015 07:26 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> <https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2015>
> states that by 13Apr "Mentoring organizations should have requested
> slots via their profile in Melange by this point. "
>
> This would mean that a long list of possible proposals and a short
> list of "we must have these students for our organization"
> proposals need to exist.

Well, it really means that we need to make the slots request.

I read through the entry on how many slots to request and expect, and
our count is likely relatively low. But we can make that request
independently of the proposals, and decide separately which ones to
accept, etc.

Does that make sense? Am I misreading in any way?

https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/studentallocations

> Looking over the submissions, it would seem that a possible long
> list would include (in no particular order):
>
> +  A Single installer ISO that delivers a functional Xen4 stack on
> CentOS 6
>
> Gautam has participated in a couple of discussions and responded
> to mentor's (George) queries
>
> + Implement and create new documentation toolchain
>
> Both Lei Yang and Kunal have provided well thought out proposals
> and have responded to mentor feedback
>
> + Develop a kpatch delivery mechanism
>
> Vladislav and Louis have been involved in conversations and
> responded to questions from mentor
>
> + RootFS Build Factory for CentOS
>
> Mandar has worked on the proposal and seems to have put in effort
> to create a good scope
>
> + On Premise Vagrant Boxes Hosting System
>
> I would defer to the mentor about whether this proposal is well
> scoped and ready
>
> + Cloud in a box
>
> There is a proposal from Asad which has been reviewed by Rich as
> well scoped.
>
> Comments, feedback would be appreciated. Karsten, do you have an
> estimate of the number of slots to request?

Based on what I read in the above article:

+2 for base request
+1 for being (more like) an umbrella org
+1 possible for past track record of org admins (myself, Jeff)
+1 that I will beg for based on running Fedora Summer Coding

If I can make all that plea, that means we are anywhere from 2 to 5
slots that are reasonable. My count of likely candidates is not far
from yours, so that would mean about 6 worthwhile proposals to accept,
with a few of those close calls about which one is best.

Honestly, if we can get as many as 5 slots we are in really great
shape for a first year organization. Getting that many would mean a
lot of faith on Google's part to put us out there ahead of their
experience around new orgs.

If we're not fully lucky, I'm hoping for 3 to 4.

- - Karsten
- --
Karsten 'quaid' Wade        .^\          CentOS Doer of Stuff
http://TheOpenSourceWay.org    \  http://community.redhat.com
@quaid (identi.ca/twitter/IRC)  \v'             gpg: AD0E0C41