[CentOS-gsocadmin] Final proposals & order

Thu Apr 23 05:38:16 UTC 2015
Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>

On 04/22/2015 11:02 AM, Corey Henderson wrote:
> I believe the student of the other kpatch proposal did have a
> higher preference for another thing but I don't know what it was
> or if he's selected for it.  Sorry I don't have more insight :-/

Corey & all:

I'm doing the final count review, as we have multiple discussions in
the air with the students, other org admins, and mentors.[1]

Corey -- I think you should be able to talk with both students, but
timing is quite short. Do you want to try? Yes/no is dependent on
below decisions.

We essentially have 1 open slot to play with or return. We have 3
students in conflict. We have two projects with highly-rated students
that might be split up to support two students.

Discussions with other orgs today show that one project wants the
conflicting student, the other two projects can let them go to us. If
we accept that, we then have 2 slots to play with.

Once decided, we go in to an IRC meeting on Friday for 3 hours; I'll
see if there are other steps we need to take to make our choices evident
.

I'm thinking we should:

1. Ask GNOME to let Kunaal Jain go to us if he prefers it.
   - I've already asked him for his preference, so we can only do this
if he approves, otherwise ... bad.
   - Split the doc toolchain in two and take both students there.
     - Feasible, we think so far, but not a perfect split.
     - Lei is interested, no answer from Kunaal so far.

2. Ask Kubernetes to let Tamer Tas go to us.
   - They liked the candidate but weren't sure this was the right
project fit, so are OK with letting go.
   - We'd be deciding potentially against student preference.
   - I've already sent the email to them asking them to let Tamer go
to us.

3. Let BU/XIA have Asad (Syed Asadullah Hussain).
   - The proposal was not in great shape and we had questions until
the last minute, so it's our lowest on the list.
   - The XIA folks really seem to want this student.
   - We'd get a slot back to do the kpatch split in to two.

Thanks for your attention at this last hour. :)

- - Karsten

[1] Here's my spreadsheet for tracking, it's a shareable link so
PLEASE DO NOT SHARE IT OUTSIDE OF THIS LIST. (Google is pretty serious
aiui about not leaking to students that they have been accepted by
their org because things do change at the last minute on occasion,
such as we're dealing with right now.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rUwrET7MFseaBQXGSC8Im65x7lk2ILq6
0CAVkBI1HwI/edit?usp=sharing