[CentOS-gsocadmin] Checking-in with the mentors!

Wed May 6 13:37:42 UTC 2015
Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com>

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Corey Henderson <corman at cormander.com> wrote:
> You beat me to this :) I'm over kpatch, I synced up with my guy yesterday. He has his marching orders for the next week, at which point I'll resync. I plan on doing more frequent communicae's in the near future.
>
> I'm a first time mentor so I'm not exactly sure what "the plan" is. The centos wiki on GSoC doesn't have a timeline. Any pointers?

The program timeline is at
<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2015>

Anecdotal insights which I can share is that if the mentor and the
student can work out a method by which the tasks and deadlines are
publicly tracked and written up (blog posts etc), the OrgAdmins have
an easier time in health checks. If the student has a good grasp of
the problem statement and is already participating in the community,
the mentor finds it easy to guide the student to the expected outcome.
For example, the kpatch work has a large and ready
consumption/use-case model. So, if the code being developed is treated
less as a prototype and more as near-production-ready, it can be put
through the wringer and made better. Do schedule regular code-reviews,
idea-sessions; encourage the student to do demo (via Hangout/similar)
when reasonable/practical milestones are in place; coax them to write
up/discuss in public on the lists. In short, as a mentor you will be
setting up a future contributor to a project you have a vested
interest in :)

I hope this helps.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay