[CentOS-mirror] Mirror setup (also new mirror announce)

William Dunn

wdunn at cs.vt.edu
Mon Feb 27 14:01:59 UTC 2006

I would suggest lots of --exclude directives in your rsync script; for
instance,

rsync -aqzH --partial --delete --exclude '/3.*' --exclude '/2.*'
us-msync.centos.org::CentOS /foo/bar/pub/CentOS

or, barring that,

rsync -blah -blah --exclude '/2' --exclude '/2.1' --exclude '/3'
--exclude '/3.1' --exclude and so forth

I mean, I'm a n00b, and there's probably a better way to do it; but that
should work (crosses fingers).

I'd also like to take this opportunity to introduce myself.  My name's
Will, and I'm the Linux admin for the Computer Science Department at
Virginia Tech.  I've set up a publicly available CentOS mirror at
http://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/CentOS and
ftp://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/CentOS/ - At some point, there will be an
entry page at http://mirror.cs.vt.edu/ but for the moment... there's not.
I sync from us-msync once or twice a day, and I am planning on upping
that to 4 times soon.  My upload isn't capped (yet); I'm waiting to see
how much interest there is in the mirror before I decide that it needs
to be capped.  We're tied into the University's OC48; but I am sharing
with 20,000 students and faculty members.

~Will
CS Technical Staff
Virginia Tech