[CentOS-mirror] Mirror setup (also new mirror announce)

Stephen Weyland

stephen.weyland at mercuryblue.com.au
Mon Feb 27 22:29:44 UTC 2006

This is a howto I created for myself, my goal was the same as yours.
This has been previously posted.

### How to use rsync to create a local mirror of the insallation files
for CentOS, of course this could be used for anything else with
modifications.
### We are going to create 2 files and edit a 3rd
### 1- Create  a directory to store some files in.
### 2- A script to run rsync --- "update.sh"
### 3- An exclusion list so we don't download a bunch of stuff we don't
want --- "rsync-exclude.list"
### 4- We need to schedule the update to run by modifying --- /etc/crontab

1- Create a directory to store the files "update.sh" and
"rsync-exclude.list"
mkdir /opt/mirror

2- Create "update.sh" script to run rsync
# See a list of mirrors at
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13
# --delete means delete files locally that no longer exist on the mirror
vi /opt/mirror/update.sh
rsync -aqzH --exclude-from=/opt/mirror/rsync-exclude.list --delete
rsync.planetmirror.com::centos /var/ftp/pub/centos/
# make it executable
chmod 700 /opt/mirror/update.sh

3- Create an exclude list
vi /opt/mirror/rsync-exclude.list
# add a list of the files you want to be excluded in the rsync process
# files with a slash at the beginning are referenced to the root of the
rsync directory you connected to.
# in this case rsync.planetmirror.com/centos (the ::centos above is the
/centos here)
# files with a trailing slash indicate any directory with that name
anywhere. e.g "apt/" will skip any directory in any sub-tree named apt

/2.1/
/2/
/3.1/
/3.3/
/3.4/
/3.5/
/3.6/
/3/
# The following need to be excluded from /4/
apt/
docs/
isos/
# The following need to be excluded from all directories they are
present in, like /4/os/ and /4/updates/  ...  We only want the i386
directory.
SRPMS/
alpha/
ia64/
ppc/
s390/
s390x/
x86_64/

4- Add a line to /etc/crontab to run the job once a day or once a week
or whenever, the following shows run on the 1st minute, 1st hour, Sunday

1  1  * * sun root /opt/mirror/update.sh

Stephen Weyland
Systems Administrator
Mercury Blue
8398-1210