[CentOS-mirror] RFC email for late/lagging CentOS public mirrors

Lance Davis lance at centos.org
Thu Dec 13 02:26:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Mote, Ty R. wrote:

> Would it be that difficult to collect the data and require all new mirrors to provide the email address? Maybe set a deadline to have a responsible person address on file or you are removed?

We already do have the email addresses of most of the mirror admins.

The others would not be hard to obtain.

The problem is that unresponsive mirrors are likely to have unresponsive
mirror admins.

I would propose a single final email to the list prior to removal of a
mirror - just in case someone is lurking ...

Regards
Lance

> --
> Ty R. Mote
> Assistant Director of Technology
> Krum Independent School District
> http://www.krumisd.net
> O: 940/482-6000x283
> F: 940/482-9951
> C: 806/290-1313
> ty.mote at krumisd.net
>
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Tru Huynh wrote:
>> I would like your feedback on the proper way to warn the public mirrors
>> monitored at http://mirror-status.centos.org/ that something is
>> going wrong.
>>
>> I was thinking of:
>>
>> 1st email inquiry : "what's up?"
>> - timestamp > 3 days late or server not responding for > 3 days
>>
>> 2nd email inquiry : "what's wrong?"
>> - timestamp > 7 days late or server not responding for > 7 days
>>
>> If no news after the 2nd inquiry, remove the server from the
>> list after another grace delay of 7 days.
>>
>> Of course that the general idea, there can be lots of good reason to have a
>> late/lagging mirror. We can just also remove the server from the mirrorlist
>> (most visible annoyance from a lamda user perspective, imho).
>
> A good idea -- but.. where do you send the email to?  I'm not aware that
> the email addresses of responsible folks taking care of the mirrors have
> been collected at any point.
>
> Did you mean "broadcast the warning on centos-mirror mailing-list"?  If
> yes, the proposed mechanism seems too noisy.
>
> Pekka Savola
>
> Statement of Confidentiality: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee. The information may also be confidential and/or legally privileged. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction, or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this e-mail and its attachments, if any. E-mail is covered by the Electronics Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC SS 2510-2521.

uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.