[CentOS-mirror] mirror manager

Chuck Anderson

cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Aug 21 03:41:26 UTC 2009

https://fedorahosted.org/mirrormanager/

http://yum.baseurl.org/

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/MirrorManager

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring

> > because it uses https:// URLs to the master server, which
> > then serves a Metalink URL file containing the mirror list
> > along with hashes of the files.
>
> and what revocation list checking exists and is implemented?
> Are the hashes signed? If so, when and with what key security
> model? traceable to what CA root set? -- so far all I see is
> a potential for transit security of a file against a MitM

"MirrorManager may use HTTPS instead of HTTP upon request. However, as
of Fedora 10, yum does not validate HTTPS certificates to ensure they
were issued by a trusted certificate authority, so this is of limited
value and not enabled by default in Fedora repo config files."

I don't know whether things are different now in Fedora 11 or
Rawhide/12 w.r.t. certificate checking.  I do see that https:// URLs
are being used by default in Fedora 11's yum config:

mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch

The yum roadmap lists this:

"CA cert checking integrated (both ways)."

The packages themselves are signed.  An attacker cannot inject new
unsigned or differently signed updates.  The worst someone could do is
a DoS--e.g. stop updates from getting to systems, but this is
mitigated by the freshness checking done by yum using the metalink
from the master server.

> > Yum can then compare the secure hashes
>
> 'can' is not 'does' -- version/release please? Is this in our
> yum, or if not what adds it, so I can examine the model's
> assumptions
>
> ehhh?  'secure hashes' how?  What is being compared here?

"Yum in Fedora 10 and higher can process the mirror list in metalink
format, which provides additional security checking capability. Yum
compares the SHA1 checksums of each repository's repomd.xml file
against that of the master mirrors. This ensures that significantly
out-of-date mirrors are not used."

So we are getting there, but perhaps not quite perfect yet.  Things
are already much better than they were before.