[CentOS-mirror] Proposal for a mirror hierarchy

J.H.

warthog9 at kernel.org
Fri Dec 4 18:21:24 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 04/12/09 12:15, Kazuhiro Fujieda wrote:
>> Our server has four GbE interfaces, 64 GB memory, and 20 TB
>> storage with 600GB SSD cache. It allows 32768 HTTP, 8096 FTP and
>> 128 rsync connections. More rsync connections are acceptable.
>
> That is quite impressive.
>
> The other question is - how many such mirrors are there at the moment
> that we could use at a similar tier. I know kernel.org have been great
> friends of the project, and they have machines spread around the
> world[1] - so if the are willing, we can use their setup. We would still
> need atleast a dozen or so more machines that can push at greater than
> 400mbps on demand.

I've no objections, and as I mentioned earlier there are already a
number of other mirrors syncing directly from me.  I've got a tier2
rsync module in place already for CentOS so this would mainly be a
matter of populating the username/passwords for the module and getting
those shipped off to those who request access.  That would get you
another 4gbps (currently) and quite a bit more geographic diversity.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley