[CentOS-mirror] New Mirror Request

Tue Mar 16 14:39:11 UTC 2010
Matt Ruzicka <mruzicka at cisp.com>

Is it only deleting your DVD ISOs or all your ISOs?  I suspect only the DVD ISOs since you should be getting the CD ISOs with your normal sync.  You could look at using --exclude for the DVD files, but if you aren't also actively syncing your DVD ISOs you could also end up with drift.  If you are just manually grabbing DVD ISOs you may just want to move them out of the CentOS tree for your own use.

Not using the --delete could result in you accidentally providing incorrect packages to anyone using your mirror and could result is disk space issues.  I think anyone using your mirror would appreciate you keeping your mirror exactly the same as your upstream.

Matt Ruzicka
Sr. Systems Engineer
mruzicka at cisp.com<mailto:mruzicka at cisp.com>
www.cisp.com<http://www.cisp.com/>
www.yocolo.com<http://www.yocolo.com/>

419.724.5345 : tel
419.867.6913 : fax

From: centos-mirror-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-mirror-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Nyamul Hassan
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 5:57 AM
To: Mailing list for CentOS mirrors.
Subject: Re: [CentOS-mirror] New Mirror Request

Agreed.  But, will "yum install" work if we do not have content in those folders?

What about the ISOs?  Running the "--delete" deletes the ISOs as well.  Is there way to keep the ISOs inspite of using this flag?

Will omitting the "--delete" flag make our server unsuitable to become a public mirror?

Regards
HASSAN

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Prof. P. Sriram <sriram at ae.iitm.ac.in<mailto:sriram at ae.iitm.ac.in>> wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Nyamul Hassan wrote:
> Is it ok to run the rsync without the "--delete" flag?
Not a very good idea since you will keep accumulating outdated content -
instead of keeping only the latest version of packages, you will end up
keeping every version that is ever released (sort of).

--
sriram