[CentOS-mirror] Thoughts on DVD images

Jonathan Thurman JThurman at nwresd.k12.or.us
Wed May 19 18:08:58 UTC 2010

> On 5/19/2010 12:15 PM, Jim Kusznir wrote:

<snip>

> > So, I propose that the dvd-less mirror system is eliminated (all msync
> > mirrors carry DVDs).  No special ACLs either...  It's easy to add a
> > --exclude "*DVD*" to the rsync line for those that wish to not carry
> > the DVDs.  I also think that with sufficient announcement and time
> > (say 1-3 months), this shouldn't be an issue.  My understanding is
> > that officially its required for anyone who operates a CentOS mirror
> > to be subscribed to this list, and thus they should receive the
> > announcement.  In addition, a note can be added to the msync MOTD
> > conveying this.  If others have problems, I think the CentOS team
> > would have done their due diligence; the fault would rest with those
> > not paying attention to lists.  After all, all things change and
> > evolve, and I think this is a natural evolution for the CentOS mirror
> > team.

I agree.  It should be the responsibility of the mirror host to decide what content they will serve, and how much space they can allocate.  Making things easier on the msync volunteers is also very important.

Being a newer mirror, I don't know the background of why the DVDs are more restricted.  Is it a bandwidth issue for the msync mirrors, or a past practice that hasn't changed?

> On 5/19/2010, Nick Olsen wrote:

> I would have to agree. I Have always carried DVD's (private mirror).
> The size difference isn't that great. I also agree that the msync pool
> should be open, And it should carry DVD's. If a mirror doesn't want
> DVD's they can exclude them. Now, Granted, Many mirrors do not carry
> DVD's as we speak. But I think every mirror should have DVD's. Just my
> 2 Cents.

I don't think that the msync pool should be wide open for anyone to access.  Those that are hosting public mirrors of content should have a pool that they can sync to that is restricted, or at least have priority over unknown users.  Otherwise it could be more difficult for the public mirror system to stay up to date.

-Jonathan
Administrator, mirror.nwresd.org