[CentOS-mirror] Thoughts on DVD images

Jim Kusznir jkusznir at gmail.com
Fri May 21 16:12:43 UTC 2010

Sorry, I need to clarify one point of my original post.

When I talk about no ACLs, I didn't mean that there were no
restrictions at all; I meant no special ACLs such that "this host gets
the mirror content modified in this way; that host gets it modified
that way...".  Either fully open, or just a allow/deny based on public
mirrors that have registered with the centos mirrors team.

In my opinion, I don't see a reason for non-public mirrors to ever
talk to msync.  There are enough of the "tier 2" mirrors (non-msync
mirrors) that allow rsync, etc. that people should pull from them.
Many of them even have considerably more bandwidth than the msync ones
do (I regularly serve 40MB/s, and have gone as high as 60MB/s, and
could probably do more...).  Many of these public mirrors also run
rsync, as I now do, so its easy to pull from them.  For a couple
years, I ran a private/local-only mirror, and I always just rsync'ed
against a tier 2 mirror (such as osuosl.org).

--Jim