[CentOS-mirror] new private mirror

Jonathan Thurman

JThurman at nwresd.k12.or.us
Mon Nov 15 16:37:42 UTC 2010

_______________________________________
From:  Bangladeshi CentOS Mirror Maintainer [BD-SERVERS.NET] [centos-org at bauani.org]
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:28 AM

> I also express my view, not to support Mirrors with 'Private' Label on
> it. Anyone can create a Mirror of CentOS Project's files. With this
> Private Mirror, he/she can redirect their CentOS box update traffic
> and in this case my opinion to sync their mirror from nearest Tire 1
> Mirror. There shouldn't have any headache to Master Mirror
> Maintainers.

If the new mirror management solution is one that allows for some level of self-administration (like MirrorManager does for Fedora), then the CentOS Community should offer some level of support for private mirrors.  Our mirror started out as a private mirror, and as support for the project grew in upper management we were able to open it up for the general public.  Encouraging others with an easy way to get their foot in the door not only helps grow the community, but it is also good for the existing public mirrors by reducing the overall traffic that we see.

It doesn't have to make life more difficult for the maintainers.  I setup a private EPEL mirror without any contact from Fedora in under 10 minutes (excluding sync time of course).

-Jonathan