[CentOS-mirror] Ideas on steering yum to local mirrors

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Sep 28 16:52:24 EDT 2010

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, SpeedPartner GmbH wrote:

> well, Fedora has been having the Mirror-Manager for quite some while now
> where you can select which countries your mirror would want to serve and
> also give your networks (lately: your AS-numbers) and would always be
> ranked first in the mirror-lists.

When I spoke with the Mirror-Manager developer at OLS a while
back, I pointed out some possible security holes, and frankly
had not followed it as the need to do so was unclear, and the
interface for reporting was trac, rather than bugzilla,

> I've tried to discuss that with CentOS-folks in the past, but they
> seemed to prefer the current system which "just works" for them :-(
>
> Sorry to hear that, while we're wasting bandwidth :-(

You are not helpless here, and it may well not be the right
solution (from a CentOS risk management) to risk breaking
update settings for a huge deployed base in a major release

No-one is preventing you from running a local mirror, and
dropping in local yum configs to point to them

No-one is preventing you from having a cacheing proxy server

There are so many hours in the day -- there is no constraint
that you wait for Ralph or anyone else, before you block out
an implementation and propose it for testing.  If you have
data needs in doing the setup, please ask here.

-- Russ herrold