[CentOS-mirror] centos.alteeve.com temporarily down

Kevin Stange kevin at steadfast.net
Thu Apr 21 18:56:30 EDT 2011

On 04/21/2011 01:59 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 04/21/2011 12:39 PM, Digimer wrote:
>> I've been experience repeated apache hangs. I've had to temporarily
>> disable this mirror while I diagnose. I will re-enable it as soon as
>> possible.
>
> My server is stable without this mirror running. Is there a way to limit
> the load on a mirror? I'd really like to bring it back online, if
> possible. Host OS is Apache2/Debian5.

Are you running other services on the same machine?  It's generally best
not to do this.

You might want to try switching to Apache worker MPM (threaded) and
disable any extensions that are unused (especially anything like PHP) to
reduce resource usage.  You might also want to try a different web
server like nginx or lighttpd.  For apache, something like mod_bw might
help you to reduce bandwidth usage which could translate to lower load
averages.

Alternatively, try faster disks, more RAM and faster CPU.... :)

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer